Wednesday, July 25, 2007

The next movement...

At some point in 4th grade through movies like Breakin' & Beat Street I started breakdancin'. My father worked at Chatham's and would bring home cardboard for me to practice on. Every day in my room with my little tape recorder I played one song. The beat was so infectious that it literally made me feel like I could take anyone out in a battle. First the block, then school. I was attending Our Lady Queen of Apostles in Hamtramck and during lunch the entire middle school would play or hang out in the parking lot out back. One day I got this bright idea. Since breakin' was still new to Detroit I tried to convince the staff to let me bring cardboard and my radio to school. Everyone was talking about it. After a couple weeks, the principal allowed me to. That's when it happened.

The next day I brought the cardboard, fresh from my dad's supermarket, and my radio. I put in one song. The one song that literally changed my life. Once the intro started I changed. A metamorphisis of sorts. I would never be the same. Once the song fell into it's verse I took to the ground and began my footwork. As the song played, everyone in my school created a circle around me and the cardboard. After the verse was over I rose to my feet. That verse seemed like forever. All the kids were clapping and yelling. Even the teachers came to see what was going on. I'm sure this is where the fear of our genre started. Young kids, huddled together having fun has never set right with authority. Needless to say, my breakdancin' days had begun, all because of one song. That one song was "Reckless" by Ice-T.



Breakdancin' was the beginning for me. It obviously carried me into other aspects of hip-hop but it all started there. I breakdanced for years, long into my teens.

Here is a picture for the non-believers. I went on to win contests and created routines with other dancers. This was taken at a club where my boy and I used to kill it. I have a little fun now and then but have since stopped due to a torn ACL injury in my knee. You might get lucky once in awhile and see me clowning with my dogs, but for the most part I won't be breakin' anytime soon. Well, maybe not in public that is. It's time to pass the torch.

My little Ant has been getting down since he was a baby...




So there's the future. It definitely is passed on. Hip-Hop forever...

1 comment:

aaron said...

You know how I know you're gay?