Thursday, July 26, 2007

Rock it out...

So even though hip-hop consumed me I still had to listen to what my pops was playing on the way to school or in the house. On Sundays especially. Growing up, almost every Sunday my Dad made breakfast for the fam and turned on WRIF or WLLZ. This is where my classic rock taste comes into play. Now he was the first one to introduce me to the Beatles who are definitely my all time favorite, but there were other bands in there that drove me nuts. The Police, Boston, Led Zeppelin, Foreigner, The Who. My mother on the other hand even though she liked rock as well, she grew up on The Supremes, The Marvelettes, Smokey Robinson and the Miracles and all the great Motown acts. I definitely had a musical household.

Some of my favorite songs aren't hip-hop at all but have influenced me in my writing or in my production. Here are a few that I love to play really loud!

Boston "More Than A Feeling" (Used as my show intro in 2001)

The Cars "Moving In Stereo" (Completely influenced 24 Hours)

Foreigner "Cold As Ice" (My Dad played this song every day on the way to kindergarten)

The Police "Message In A Bottle"

Then there are the songs that I grew up listening to that you just couldn't deny. They were kind of in a class by themselves. I never really put them in a genre, just real funked out to me.

Steely Dan "Peg"

Hall & Oates "I Can't Go For That"

George Clinton "Atomic Dog"

As I got older I definitely listened to all types of music, even classical. But I have always stayed away from country. Just doesn't do it for me. Not in any way shape or fashion. Sorry. As I write I'll plug you into some of my all time favorites. Give them a listen and you never know, you might have never gave them a chance before.

Next up album covers...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

nice pics, i always liked sarah smiles better as a h and o joint, for the longest tiem i thought it was a black guy singing it. this reminds me of one time at a ruckus show when dj rec flipped tom sawyer by rush on the turntables. i thought that was kinda ill.

Anonymous said...

Good words.