Sunday, July 29, 2007

Picture this...

Now when I bought a tape (yes I said tape) I always checked out the cover first. To me, it had to represent what the album was about (for the most part). Hip-hop cover art was fashioned the way rock-n-roll albums were. Especially the music of the 60's. When the 80's came around and hip-hop was infiltrating the hood we needed something to look at to relate. Now these are my favorite 5 because they totally represented what time it was, who the group was metaphorically or in reality (you be the judge).


Eric B. & Rakim- "Paid In Full"

This album cover said it all. Get money. Flat out. I hate to admit it because people might disagree with me, but this album made me want to commit criminal things, lol. I can't lie, I saw this record, listened to it and said to myself "I want to wear those clothes. I want jewelry like that, and I want that money!" Later on I did get my Gucci shirt with all the tiny G's on it.

Boogie Down Productions- "Criminal Minded"

Need I say anything? From the title track, 9mm Goes Bang, and the classic The Bridge Is Over. This is THEE most classic hip-hop album of all time. At least in my book. Scott La Rock was murdered shortly after this album and KRS went on to have huge success and become a revolutionary speaker for hip-hop. Legendary as a lyricist, never respected commercially. I think he is okay with that though...

Public Enemy- "It Takes A Nation of Millions To Hold Us Back"

Revolutionary rhymes. Powerful presentation. This album signified injustice. Political, non-conforming music that angered every white household. I loved it. They weren't speaking to me, they were speaking to the white people in power who for years followed traditions. Traditions that I never understood. Power to the people.

Big Daddy Kane- "Long Live The Kane"Completely out to reign as the lyricist king. Always an influence to me in my writing, this cover was dope. No gangster image just Kane being Kane. The smooth player with the women and taking his seat on the throne. Another classic hip-hop album of all time. "Raw" and "Set It Off" were my favorites while a lot of people would say "Ain't No Half Steppin" which is #3 off this album to me.

The Pharcyde- "Bizarre Ride II The Pharcyde"

Completely wild and zany. This album cover was dope. You can make up your own mind where they are headed but the artwork was incredible. Once you opened this up and listened to it- the cover made complete sense. Classic 1st album.


Some people would add so many other covers to this list, (LL Cool J's "RADIO" or N.W.A.'s "Straight Outta Compton") etc. Let me know what your favorites are.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

lol ice t's power with the chick in a bikini and a shotgun. very powerful image for a 12 year old kid at the record shop. enter the wu just because it was like "what the fuck is this about ". midnight marauders just because i liked the idea of it being a "whos who" of hip hop. doggystyle because of the cartoon style imaging. i'll think of more later